Why We Sit Where We Do In All-School-Meeting

Leah Fasten

Thomas Goux, Staff Writer

Every morning, students and faculty trickle into Morse Hall for All-School-Meeting (ASM), which is a long-standing ritual of Falmouth Academy life. It is a time when all students and faculty come together to discuss the events of the coming day. One of the most important parts of ASM is where the students sit. Seating at ASM is dictated by whether you’re a seventh-grader or ninth-grader, sick or healthy. But each day, students sit in a self-designated area with their grade, and, as far as I know, the reason for that is completely random. You would think that the seating arrangements were assigned to students early on, but that’s not the case. 

According to Mr. Jones, one of FA’s beloved math teachers of 23 years, “There’s no rhyme or reason to it. Since Morse Hall was introduced to the school, that’s where students have sat.” It is interesting to learn that no adults interfere with the process at all, given how much they are involved in other facets of student life here at school. When I asked Mr. Green about the history of the ASM seating arrangement, he had similar thoughts. He said, “It was like watching magic happen. They all just kind of settled into their own seats by themselves.” Call it fate, but I think it’s just how the brain works. It creates groups according to some subconscious or preordained norms, even if we don’t do things intentionally. It’s just natural. And who knows? Maybe there are more things in the school that we do subconsciously? What other social science experiments can be conducted in this same way?