WISE Club Column: November 2020

WHOI Scientist Taylor Sehein speaks to the WISE elective over Zoom

Sama Zaman, Columnist

Falmouth Academy’s Women in Science and Engineering (WISE) club was founded in 2018 by Emma Keeler ’19, a student who was inspired to share her positive experiences working at the Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution (WHOI) with the Falmouth Academy community. Particularly, she wanted to shed light on women working in various fields of science. Emma’s passion shone through as she conducted each meeting thoughtfully and brought the whole group into discussion. After Emma’s graduation from Falmouth Academy, she passed the club down to two equally motivated students: Isabelle Santamauro ’20 and Maya Peterson ’21, who carried on Emma’s original mission. 

As the WISE club launches into its third year at Falmouth Academy, Tasha Sudofsky ’22 and I, Sama Zaman ’21, are determined to lead WISE, focusing on introducing more students to the experiences of women in STEM fields and to the diverse world of science. 

WISE held its first meeting on September 24th. Our speaker was Caroline Cotto’10, who studied chemistry and food science at Georgetown University and is now the Chief Operating Officer of Renewal Mill, a start-up which upcycles food byproducts into baked goods. More recently, on November 5th, WISE met with Dr. Duygu Özpolat, a developmental biologist at Marine Biological Laboratory who studies the mechanisms of cell regeneration in worm species, and how this can be applied to reproduction and post-embryonic growth. Dr. Özpolat, Ms. Cotto, and our other WISE speakers have shared with us the non-linear paths they each took to their careers, and the importance of exploring various interests while finding sources of inspiration to both learn and develop their passions from. Our speakers’ advice has certainly been a big takeaway for all WISE members. 

Due to COVID-19, WISE has not held any in-person meetings with speakers. Rather, they have joined us virtually through Zoom meetings hosted by our faculty advisors, Mrs. Sharon Kreamer and Dr. Alison Ament. All students are welcome and may join the meetings virtually or in person!

Meetings are held through Zoom, or in room 109 on Thursdays, from 3:00pm – 3:30pm.