The Coin Civil Dispute Returns to Falmouth Academy

Maisie Saganic, Ruby Gaetani, and Saniya Rajagopal ’21 place coins in the Coin Civil Dispute

Abigail Lott

After a few years on hiatus, the Coin Civil Dispute returned to Falmouth Academy. Grades brought in their loose change to compete to decide which charity the money goes to. 

This Falmouth Academy tradition has been going on for about 10 years and was originally called the Coin Challenge. The sight of blue water jugs at the top of the stairwell, and the sound of coins dropping in, piqued excitement for many. Students gathered around the jugs, hoping to win for their grade and sabotage the chances of others. 

The premise of this competition was that grades bring in coins and put them in their respective jars to win. The catch is that silver coins equal negative points while non-silver coins equal positive points, so silver coins would go into other grades’ jars while non-silver coins would go into the participant’s grade jar. The winner of the competition this year would choose what charity to donate the coins to. 

“Student Council was hoping to honor past FA traditions and was reminiscing over the competitive spirit that the Coin Civil Dispute had sparked in the past,” said Tasha Sudofsky 22’, Student Council Secretary, as to why the group brought back the Civil Dispute.  “We also thought that it was a great and fun way to raise money!”

“We missed having a school activity that everyone can participate in but because of Corona, a lot of the usual STUCO activities we love to plan and execute (Marconi, Gala, etcetera) can’t happen,” said Saniya Rajagopal ‘21, Student Council president, echoing Tasha’s remarks. “So we thought that the coin civil dispute was a perfect balance of COVID-safe and competitive fun.” 

Tasha explained why the grade with the most points picked the charity: “We were hoping students would be more apt to participate if they knew that the money could go to a charity that they are passionate about.” 

“I liked doing it,” said Kailei Hoehlein 22’ about the competition. “It gets very competitive though.”

There was a fierce war between the grades with many grades targeting the seniors. 

Saniya said that because school fundraising doesn’t seem to be happening as much due to COVID-19, this was a safe way for students to donate to charity.