WISE Update: February 2021

Sama Zaman

WISE meets with MBL researcher Emily Lucas

Sama Zaman, Columnist

The first several months of Falmouth Academy’s WISE (Women in Science and Engineering) club for the 2020-2021 school year have been a success! On Thursdays, meetings have been held after school from 3:00pm to 3:30pm. This will likely be the schedule for the remainder of the WISE club’s meetings. 

Our most recent speaker was Emily Lucas, a research assistant in Karen Echeverri’s lab at the Marine Biological Laboratory in Woods Hole. She graduated from Colorado College in 2017, and she now studies tissue development and the regenerative properties of salamanders and sea anemones. At the WISE meeting, Ms. Lucas shared with the group valuable advice about making connections with others, exploring interests beyond science, tips for the college application process, and insight about life at Colorado College. 

WISE plans to continue virtual Zoom meetings with speakers for the remainder of the school year due to the Covid-19 pandemic. Students and faculty are welcome and encouraged to join us after school on Thursdays in room 109, or through the Zoom link posted on Falmouth Academy’s mainsheet. Attached below is the Google form where you can sign up to receive weekly information about our speakers, as well as more information about attending meetings.