Falmouth Academy’s Winter Concert 2022

Falmouth Academy’s String Ensemble. In back: Sophia Legutko ’23 and Joseph Legutko ’26. In front: Faye McGuire ’26.

Karly Shifrin, Staff Writer

Falmouth Academy has many talented student musicians. Through concert events, these musically inclined students are able to share their talents with the school and the broader community. Most recently, Falmouth Academy held a Winter Concert on February 11, 2022. This particular concert showcased six different performing groups who played a  total of ten musical pieces.

The songs performed were: Flashdance, by The Advanced Instrumental Ensemble; Pink Panther, by The Mixed Instrumental Ensemble; The Lion Sleeps Tonight, Build Me Up Buttercup, and In the Time of Silver Rain, by the Chorus; Rondeau, and Habanera, by The String Ensemble; House of the Rising Sun and Godzilla, by The Rock Band, and Brahm’s Hungarian Dance No. 5, by The International Ensemble.

One new aspect of this Winter Concert was the addition of the International Ensemble. The International Ensemble is a new group in Falmouth Academy’s music program that highlights the musical talents of the school’s international student population.The group is made up of students Alzamora Quan ’22 , Kelly Lin ’24, Sophia Legutko ’23, and Joseph Legutko ’26. Another unique factor of this winter concert was that students didn’t have as much time to prepare. Unfortunately, the fall concert was moved back to December, which gave students only about two months to get ready for the winter concert instead of the usual three. 

“I had to consider this when selecting music for the concert. I had to choose pieces that would be learned quickly, but still challenge students and sound good,” said Mr. George Scharr, Arts Department Chair.

Not only was the music affected by the shorter preparation time, but the general programing was also changed.

Unlike most concerts, “There was no printed program. Instead, we used a projector to present the piece names and graphics to go with them,” said Mr. Scharr.

Overall, the concert ran very smoothly. Concerts are always amazing to watch, especially when you have seen the evolution of the pieces through practice as well as the overall growth of the students as collaborative musicians. It is a very special experience for both the teachers and musicians to hear the songs go from noise to well-polished art. 

Yaz Aubrey ’25, a French horn player in the Advanced Ensemble, said it best, “The most amazing part about the music program at FA is the music itself. I like hearing it all come together.”

The musical students at Falmouth Academy are now busy preparing for the Spring concert. So, if you sadly missed the Winter Concert, come support FA’s music program for the Spring Concert on May 20, 2022!