Exploration Day Workshops Exceed Community Expectations

The+product+of+X-days+Origami+workshop.++Attribution%3A+Falmouth+Academy+Faculty+

The product of “X-day’s” Origami workshop. Attribution: Falmouth Academy Faculty

Ursula Junker, Staff Writer

Falmouth Academy’s second-ever Exploration Day, on November 20th, inspired and captivated both students and staff. Instead of regularly scheduled classes, upper school students participated in specialty workshops led by faculty or guests. 

Students chose their classes from a lengthy list of choices ranging from international cuisine to Japanese ink painting. “I was a little nervous because of the options that were listed, none of them seemed to strike my fancy outright,” said Maisie Saganic, who ended up spending her morning reading and creating monologues. “But I was extremely pleasantly surprised.”

The day posed welcome challenges for the classes’ instructors, too. Ms. Manchester, who co-taught Maisie’s monologue workshop, agreed that the experience surpassed her hopes: “It does require a lot of preparation, but it is extremely liberating to work with a new group of students and have the time to delve into a truly exciting topic. My monologue class surprised and delighted me with their enthusiasm.”

“X-day” was a pleasant change from the routine of typical classes. Unlike an ordinary school day, students selected the subjects of their classes, and the classes lasted half a day or even a full day, without the drawbacks of grades or traditional schoolwork. “Because there’s no homework, it’s just learning for learning’s sake,” said Mr Earley. Students appreciated the break from the rhythm of everyday school life.

The FA administration has promised another X-Day this school year. Ben Giumetti says he looks forward to the possibility of repeating his World War II simulation class: “I’m excited for it! I just wanna play diplomacy again.”