Pineapple on Pizza: Delicious Snack or Absolute Catastrophe?

Mia Galvam

Abigail Lott asking Falmouth Academy students about their thoughts on pineapple on pizza

Abigail Lott, Staff Writer

Pineapple was first used as a pizza topping in 1962, when Sam Panopoulos, a Canadian resident, started throwing the tropical fruit on his pies at one of his Ontario-based restaurants. After this unique and bold experiment, pineapple on pizza became a worldwide phenomenon.  However, love for the unique topping is not shared by all; recently, the internet exploded with a debate as to whether this seemingly bizarre food is a good idea or not. In recent merchandise sold by Youtubers and authors Hank and John Green, they put pineapple on pizza and no pineapple on pizza pins up for sale for a limited time. The brothers let their fans decide which was the right opinion based on the number of pins bought during the time they were available. John Green said in the video, “You can choose between one [pin] that says ‘pineapple on pizza forever’ and one that has a pineapple with a line through it and says ‘nope.’  I guess whichever of those pins sell more will then be declared the collective opinion of nerdfighteria.” After watching the video, I wondered what the opinions of the Falmouth Academy community would be. So, I went out around the school and asked people one simple question: Pineapple on pizza. Yes or no?

The table at the end of this article depicts the spread of responses to this question across the entire Falmouth Academy community. I polled one hundred and nine people in total, with a majority –  sixty-three people – saying yes. One advocate of pineapple on pizza, Domenic Bowen ‘22, said: “Sweet counteracts savory. It’s a nice mixture.” From the faculty, Mr. Lott told me: “I am a huge fan of the Hawaiian pizza. Ham and pineapple are a good mixture.” On the other hand, forty-six of the students and faculty surveyed – the minority – could not stand the thought of pineapple on pizza. Sarah Plotkin ‘22 said: “It doesn’t work. It’s too different to be put together.” Another sophomore, Ethan Pratt, told me, “Well I’ve never actually had it, but the general consensus is that it’s bad.” However, the Falmouth Academy survey found just the opposite: more people in our community believe that pineapple on pizza is a good idea. Of course, we should not discount the sizable minority who think it is unmentionable. I personally think that pineapple on pizza seems weird, but I’m open to giving it a try. 

Grade/Faculty and Staff # of people who said yes # of people who said no
7th 9 7
8th 8 6
9th 8 8
10th 12 11
11th 9 8
12th 13 3
Faculty/Staff 4 3